Why detoxify your body?
Natural ways to cleanse your body are necessary to keep your body and mind in a healthy condition and to keep your energy levels up.
Our body has built in mechanisms to get rid of toxins in our body, such as crying, getting a runny nose, sweating and going to the loo. However, living in a world that has become overloaded with toxic agents and pollution cause our bodies to struggle to eliminate them.
In the first place, be aware of the elements that cause toxic build up in the body. That way you can avoid them as much as possible. Then, becoming aware of the signs of having toxins in your body and using regular routines to eliminate toxins will assist in keeping your body healthy.
What causes toxicity in the body?
- Air pollution.
- Foreign chemicals in household cleaning products, cosmetics and pesticides.
- Heavy metals such as mercury, lead and aluminium, build up in the body over time.
- Electronics, such as cell phones, TV and microwaves.
- Radiology, such as X-rays and CT-scans.
- Parasites picked up in contaminated food.
- Fast foods/junk foods.
- Processed foods containing toxic additives.
- Drugs, including the prescribed ones.
- Alcohol abuse.
- Stress causes toxic hormones such as adrenalin and cortisol to be released in the body.
What are the signs of having toxins in your body?
- Excessive mucus or runny nose.
- Headaches and fuzzy thinking.
- Bad breath and body odour.
- Puffy eyes and face.
- A sluggish digestive system, causing weight gain and constipation.
- Excessive weight and bloated tummy.
- Skin reactions, such as rashes and outbreaks.
- Sensitivity to chemical smells, such as fragrances.
- Chronic muscle and joint pains.
The benefits of detoxifying your body
- Increased energy and vitality
- Weight loss
- A clear skin
- Clearer thinking
- General health and wellbeing
- It is anti-aging
Natural ways to cleanse your body
Drastic ways to detox, such as fasting and colon cleanses, can harm your body. Here are natural ways to cleanse your body and keep your energy levels up:
- Drink as much (pure) water as possible.
- Diet: As much organic, raw/alkaline vegetables, fruits, sprouts, raw nuts and seeds as possible. Juicing raw vegetables and fruits – as organic as possible.
- Detoxifying smoothies or juices. Replace a meal a day by blending a smoothie or revitalise by juicing with vegetables and fruit. (see ‘Blending versus juicing’)
- Probiotics to balance the ‘good’ bacteria in your digestive system.
- Exercise that helps you break a sweat and stimulates your lymphatic system, e.g. rebounding.
- Breathe clean air, as natural as possible or invest in a good quality air purifier for your home or office.
- Brush your skin to stimulate circulation.
- Deep massage to stimulate lymphatic drainage.
- Saunas or steam baths.
- Hot salt water baths – use sea salt or epsom salts.
- Deep breathing exercises.
- Natural herbal remedies.
- Acupuncture, reflexology or acupressure.